The huge need of power saving in our nowadays and the importance of counting with an effective, clear and quick communication, moreover, the security and comfort of the people, the modality of spaces and equipment and the possibility of give a better service life to a building, have made to grow up the concept of intelligent buildings. They are constructions with a high level of technology in all their processes.
All the professional who work on it, such us designers, constructors, project managers and commercialization need to have the sufficient knowledge to integrate new aspects in a synchronized way to enjoy the concept of efficiency.
An intelligent construction is an efficient building, what means that it can make much with the minimum quantity of resources. Normally the most simple is the best it works and the less technical problems make, so the concept of efficiency can be seen by simplicity.
From the electronic point of view, an intelligent building has to have technology at security, communications, logistical support and at automation of process, but always with a correct equilibrium. When we talk about communication, we mean telephone network, when we talk about automation, it means a centralized control of lighting and when we refer to logistical support, we mean electronic elements that allow one operation in each site with a better security and comfort.
An application of the infrastructure in an intelligent system can be made by the building structure, the building systems, the building service or by the administration of the building.
A good design of an intelligent building is that one which achieves a perfect balance between technology, economy resources and operative capacity.
The principal goals of an intelligent building are:
– Satisfy the nowadays and future needs of the residents.
– Flexibility in structure, in systems and in services.
– Functionality of the building.
– Comfort for the user.
– Increase the security.
– Automation of the installations.
– Integration of the services.
– Power savings.
– Taking care of the environment.
– Decrease the operating costs and maintenance.
– Increase the life service of the building.
There are different types of intelligence:
– Grade 1: basic or minimal intelligence. It is a basic system of building automation which is not integrated.
– Grade 2: average media. It is an automation building system which is totally integrated.
– Grade 3: maximal intelligence. It is an automation building system, where the activity and the telecommunications are totally integrated. It consists on a basic central system, a security system and a power saving system.
With the construction of intelligent buildings everybody wins. The value of the building increases for the property developers and owners. For the property and installation administrators, this buildings offer management subsystems more effective and more efficient, such as a global management of the building.
For the architects, engineers and contractors, intelligent buildings are a way to connect the design and the construction with a saving in the global management of the project.